Are you eligible for an AVE for Canada? Alternative to Visa, this travel document is quick and easy to obtain online for nationals of countries exempt from visa requirements that plan to travel to Canada. Although the procedure is much simpler and shorter than for a traditional visa, the AVE application form for Canada contains several sections that must be completed properly and in full. The online form to be filled in once, it would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the questions before you start the application. This article covers each issue of the AVE application form and gives you the information you need to respond appropriately. By reading this, make a list of the documents you will need to collect and the information to be provided. Once you have your documents in hand, you should be prepared to complete your application without difficulty.
Are you submitting an application on behalf of someone else?
This is a direct question. Are you filling out the form for yourself or for someone else? Please note that if you complete the AVE requests for your entire family, you must do so at once. There is no common form for families.
If you answer “yes”, you will need to enter the parent/guardian information or other relevant information. This section asks you the following questions:
I am… The drop-down menu will allow you to indicate the relationship that binds you to the applicant.
Are you paid to represent the applicant? Choose “Yes” or “no”.
- Name (s). Enter your family name (s).
- First name (s). Enter your first name (s).
- The name of the organization. If you are applying on behalf of someone else and you are a member of an organization, enter the name of the organisation.
- Mailing address
- Phone number
- Fax number
- Email address
Once you have completed this section, you must “sign” the Representative’s statement electronically, by which you declare that the form is completed correctly to your knowledge, and that you are the person designated by the applicant for Fill out this application on his behalf. Check the two boxes before continuing.
What travel document do you intend to use to get to Canada?
Click on the drop down menu to select the travel document you will use to visit Canada. You can choose from nine options. If you are not sure what type of document you have, check this before you continue the application.
Select the code that matches the one that is on your passport
Select the country to issue your passport from the drop down menu. Once you have chosen the country, the next message will appear.
What country is your passport issued?
You will find the code in three letters on the information page of your Passport.
What nationality is indicated on this passport?
Select the nationality from the drop down menu. If you are a citizen of Israel or Taiwan, you will need to answer some additional questions. Israeli citizens must answer the following questions:
- Select the country code that matches the one that is on your passport.
- For this trip, will you use a national passport?
Taiwanese citizens must answer the following questions:
- For this trip, will you use a passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan containing your personal identification number?
- Personal identification number
Once you have indicated your nationality, you must enter your Passport number.
Are you a legitimate permanent resident of the United States with a valid Green Card?
Answer “yes” or “no” from the drop-down menu. If you select “No”, you are not eligible for the AVE. Please note that this question concerns only nationals of countries not exempted from the visa requirement. If your country is exempt from the visa requirement, you will not have to answer this question and will therefore be eligible for the AVE.
If you select “Yes”, the following field appears:
Green Card Number
If you selected “Yes”, enter the number of your Green Card. You must also specify the expiration date of the card.
If you are not sure of the answer, you will find it on the information page of your Passport.
Applicant’s Passport Information
You must enter all the required information on your passport. You will find this information on the Passport page containing your identity photo. If this information is not included, answer the best you can:
- Passport number-This information appears at the top of the page.
- Name – Please enter your name exactly as it appears on your passport.
- First Name (s) – please enter exactly as it appears/appear on your Passport.
- Date of birth-enter your date of birth.
- Sex-Select your gender from the drop-down menu.
- Country of birth-enter the country of birth listed on your passport.
- City of birth-enter your city of birth.
- Date of issue of passport – be sure to enter this date correctly.
- Passport expiration Date – indicate the expiration date of your passport. Also make sure your passport doesn’t expire soon. If this is the case, you may need to get a new passport before you apply for AVE.
Applicant’s Personal information
Enter the following information:
- Country (nationality) – this is usually the same country as the one on your passport.
- Marital Status – You can choose from seven options in the drop-down menu. Select the option that applies to your situation.
- Have you ever applied for a visa/AVE to enter Canada? Answer “yes” or “no” from the drop-down menu.
- Unique customer identifier (CUI)/Canadian permit or Visa number previous – if you have already visited Canada, you should have this number. If you have worked in Canada in the past but have not received a number, indicate the number of work or study permits or visitor visas.
Some of the questions in this section use a drop-down menu. Canadian Immigration Services establish your eligibility to enter Canada on the basis of your financial situation, which is why this section is important.
- Occupation – Select your occupation from the drop-down menu.
- Job Description-Select the job descriptions.
- Name of company/employer/school Institution
- Country-Enter the country where you are exercising.
- City-Enter the city where you are exercising.
- In what year? – Indicate the year in which you started your current job.
Make sure that this information is correct. You must have a valid email address for your request to be processed.
- Preferred language of correspondence – choose English or French from the drop-down menu.
- E-mail address – Be sure to enter the address correctly. You must have received your AVE by e-mail sent by Canadian Immigration Services before you can enter Canada.
- Home Address-Enter the address of your home. You can not enter a PO Box number.
You are not obligated to have already organized your trip to fill this section. On the other hand, if you have your flight tickets, make sure you have the information at your hands.
- Do you know when you will be going to Canada? Select “Yes” or “no” from the drop-down menu. If you select “Yes”, you must answer the following questions:
- When do you intend to go to Canada? Select your scheduled departure date to Canada.
- Departure time for your flight to Canada if you already have your plane tickets, enter the take-off time to Canada.
If you answer “yes” to any of these questions, you must provide as much information as possible. You will be able to speed up the treatment and clear up any misunderstandings.
- Have you ever been denied entry to Canada or another country? If you select “Yes”, you must make a list of each refusal indicating the country and the date.
- Have you ever been arrested for a criminal offence or convicted of such an offence? If you select “Yes”, you must make a list of each offence indicating the date, place and sentence imposed.
- Have you ever been in contact with someone with tuberculosis, or has anyone in your family ever been in touch with TB? If you select “Yes”, you must answer the following questions:
- Is it because of your job as a health worker? Choose “Yes” or “no” from the drop-down menu.
- Have you ever been diagnosed with tuberculosis? Select “Yes” or “no” from the drop-down menu.
- Do you suffer from a serious illness that requires regular treatment? To answer the question, you have to choose an option from the drop-down menu. Indicate if you are suffering from the diseases listed in the menu: untreated syphilis, untreated alcoholism or addiction, untreated mental health problem with psychosis. You have to select the option that applies to you.
More information on your application
This blank field is optional, but it may be useful to you. If you answered “yes” to one or more of these questions, we advise you to use this field to explain your case. If you need to travel urgently to Canada for any reason, you can explain it here.
Consent and declaration.
Finally, you must read the consent form, check the box and sign it electronically. Then click on “Proceed to payment” and use an approved payment method to pay the fee. In most cases, you should receive the result by email in a few minutes. Once you have submitted it, you will be able to check the status of your application at any time.
If you have several requests to submit, make sure to do so at once to remember no traveller requiring an AVE. If the submitted information does not initiate manual processing or security reporting, you should receive your approved AVE within minutes, and you will be able to enter Canada without any problem.
The following countries require an eTA to enter Canada
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- San Marino
We provide a comprehensive service that includes
Custom step-by-step support for preparing your eTA application in full compliance.
Email notifications and updates of all regulatory changes.
Application prepared by a professional agent.
24-hour assistance in case of emergency.
In the event that your eTA request is declined, we can schedule an appointment at the nearest Canadian visa processing center.
Access to online help through our fast and easy service.