To make sure your visit to Canada goes as smoothly as possible, here is a change you should know about if you are traveling by air. It´s called ETA- stands for electronic travel authorization and it is a new entry requirement.

You may need and ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) before you board your flight to Canada.

Getting your ETA is a simple, inexpensive, online process, which takes just a few minutes to complete.

All you need is your passport, a credit card, email address and access to the Internet.

The process is completely safe and secure. You will enter basic personal information like your name, passport number, email address, answer a few simple questions and submit your application.

Exceptions include American citizens and visitors with a valid visa. It´s best to get your ETA before you book your flight to Canada. You may not be able to fly without it.

In most cases, the ETA will be granted within minutes of applying. Once approved, your ETA is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

This means you can fly to Canada without reapplying so long as your ETA and passport remain valid.
To make sure that you can board your flight to Canada, you will need to travel with the passport you used to apply for your ETA as the ETA is electronically linked to it.

If in doubt, you can always check the status of your ETA on Canada.ca/eTA.
To find out more, including who needs an ETA and who doesn’t, visit Canada.ca/eTA.

Citizens of which countries can apply for eTA

Citizens and nationals of only 45 countries are eligible to apply for a Canada eTA visa: Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei, British citizens, British citizens of overseas territories 1, 2, Korea Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Solomon Islands, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Cyprus, Monaco, Norway, New Zealand, Netherlands, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Permanent Residents of USA, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Sweden, and Switzerland.

  • British overseas citizen readmisible in United Kingdom.
  • A British citizen of overseas territories who has obtained citizenship by birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British Overseas Territories: Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Islands , Santa Elena, Turks and Caicos Islands.